Question: Which of the following statement/s is/ are correct about International Whaling Commission?
1) International Whaling Commission was setup in Washington in 1946.
2) It main purpose is to provide proper conservation of whales.
3) India is not a member of IWC
4) Recently Japan withdrew from IWC and to resume commercial whaling by July 2019.
Correct option is:
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 1,2 and 4
(d) All of the above.
- Recently Japan announced its withdraw from IWC (International Whaling Commission). This step comes after continuous argument from Japan over failure of IWC in achieving dual goal of preservation as well as orderly development of whaling industry.
- Japan will resume hunting whales in its own territorial waters and its exclusive economic zones from June next year. Japan joined IWC in 1951.
- Prior to this, with the sharp decrease in whale population, IWC agreed a moratorium on commercial whaling in 1986 which is binding on member countries. This helped the re-emergence of healthy population of whales and saving several species from extinction.
- Japan, Iceland and Norway however continued to hunt whale. Japan did it on the name of scientific research. Whale meat is a rich source of protein in Japan which has a rich seafood culture. Whale meat is also distinguished with the traditional culture of Japan.
- IWC was established in Washington DC on 2nd December 1946 to provide proper conservation of whale stocks as well as orderly development of whaling industry. India joined the IWC in 1981.