Question: ‘Jalamrutha’ conservation scheme is related to –
(b) Tamil Nadu
(c) Andhra Pradesh
- Recently (In Feb. 2019), a Water Conservation Scheme ‘Jalamrutha’ was launched by Karnataka Government.
- Jalamrutha is a community-driven movement for water conservation in the state, initiated by Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
- The State Government has declared 2019 as the Year of Water.
- The State Government has authorized a grant of Rs.500 Crore for the implementation of Jalamrutha scheme.
- Under the scheme, the government aims to rejuvenate 14,000 water bodies and building 12,000 check-dams in next two years.
Relevancy of Scheme:
- About 41% of the state’s population is living in urban areas. The cities require a huge volume of water to meet the demand.
- North Bangalore is growing at a rapid pace.
- The region sees burgeoning water consumption while the resources are less.
- The state is left with no option but to bring Yettinahole water through the canal to meet the water demands.