Question: Who joined recently as the Chief Economist of International Monetary Fund?
(a) Maurice Obstfeld
(b) Christine Legard
(c) Raghuram Rajan
(d) Gita Gopinath
- On 8 January 2019, India born US citizen Gita Gopinath joined as the 11th Chief Economist of International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Her appointment as the chief economist of IMF was made on 1 October 2018 by Christine Legard, MD, IMF.
- She became the first women to be appointed at this post. She will succeed Maurice (Maury) Obstfeld as Economic Counsellor and Director of IMF`s Research Department who retired on 31 December 2018.
- Ms. Gopinath earlier served as the John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics at Harvard University. She is also co-editor of American Economic Review. She is regarded as on the best economist with specialization on international trade & finance.
- IMF (International Monetary Fund) also known as the Fund was conceived at Bretton Woods Convention in 1944. This organization was created subsequently in 1945 and has 189 member countries working to foster global monetary cooperation, securing financial stability, facilitating international trade, promoting high economic & sustainable growth and reducing poverty around the world.Its headquarters is in Washington D.C.