Question: On 14-15 May, 2018 a seminar on Humanitarian and Disaster relief (HADR) was organized by the Head Quarter Western Air Command, situated at which of the following places?
(c) New Delhi
- On 14-15 May, 2018, a seminar on Humanitarian and Disaster relief (HADR) was organized by the Head Quarter Western Air Command, situated in Subroto Park, Delhi.
- The seminar was conducted to focus onto effective measures to deal with HADR situations in Northern region of India.
- Apart from the IAF participation, secretary level delegations from the states of Himanchal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, Haryana, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir are participating in the seminar.
- Major respondents to disaster situations like NDMA, NDRF and ITBP are also attending the seminar.
- In disaster situations, more often than not, the IAF is the first responder and kick starts the process of help to the affected population.
- To its credit, the IAF has not only national disaster relief operations like Op Madad – Chennai Cyclone, Op Rahat– Uttrakhand Flash Floods, Op MeghRahat– Flood relief in J&K and relief operations at Andhra Pradesh during cyclone HUD HUD.
- It also has been carrying out relief actions in the international disaster situations like Evac of Indian Diaspora from Yemen, Op Maitri – earthquake relief at Nepal, cyclone relief at FIJI and flood relief in Sri Lanka.
- In most cases aircraft and personnel of Western Air Command have been the mainstay of these operations.
- On the agenda are also discussions on National Perspective on Disaster Management & Capability Building and Enhancement of disaster relief for the attending states.
- Discussions on the response procedure using the IAF platforms would also be held at the seminar.