Question: A joint venture of HAL and Safran Helicopter Engines was recently inaugurated by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in … .
- On 23rd October, 2016 The Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar inaugurated Helicopter Engines Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (HE-MRO), Pvt. Limited at Sattari District, North Goa.
- It is a Joint Venture of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Safran Helicopter Engines of France.
- The Joint Venture will provide maintenance, repair and overhaul services for Safran TM333 and HAL Shakti engines installed on helicopters operated by the Defence Services.
- Indian defense forces currently operate more than 1,000 French-design helicopters with engines such as the TM 333 and Ardiden 1 (renamed Shakti), which is produced by HAL under license.
- This partnership will improve customer satisfaction through improved serviceability, reduced cycle time, availability of spares, troubleshooting, field support and modifications to overcome design deficiencies.
- The Joint Venture will also provide employment opportunities and boost economic activities in Goa.