Consider the following statements regarding the Global Innovation Index, 2018-
(1) Switzerland has topped the index, while it was fifth in the year 2017.
(2) India is at 60th place this year, while it was 57th last year.
Code: The correct statement is/are-
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) None of the above.
- In July 2018, the 11th edition of the Global Innovation Index, 2018 was released.
- It has been jointly developed by Furnell University, Paris-based Business School, Insead and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- In this index, 120 economies have been ranked on 80 the basis of indicators.
- The theme of this index for the year 2018 was ‘Energizing the World with Innovation’.
- Switzerland is at the top position in this index. It has remained consistently top since 2011.
- Netherlands (second), Sweden (third), United Kingdom (fourth), Singapore (fifth) are in the ranking.
- India has been ranked 57th this year, while it was at 60th place last year.
- Continuous improvements in India’s rankings are being seen from the year 2016.
- India is at the top in the Middle and Southern Asian region. Iran and Kazakhstan ranked second & third respectively in Middle and Southern Asian region.
- India has been ranked fifth in low-middle-income economy.
- In the BRICS countries, China is ranked 11th, Russia 46th, India 57th, South Africa 58th and Brazil 64th.
- Yemen (126th) is in the last place in the index.