Question: What is the minimum height ascertained for IFMC( in-flight and maritime connectivity) services in the notified Flight and Maritime Connectivity Rules,2018?
(a) 1500 metres
(b) 2200 metres
(c) 2800 metres
(d) 3000 metres
- On 14th December 2018, the Central Government has notified Flight and Maritime Connectivity Rules, 2018 in exercise of the powers conferred by section 4 read with section 7 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885.
- In these rules IFMC(in-flight and maritime connectivity) services has been defined allowing phone calls and access to internet during air travel and ship voyage within the Indian territory.
- IFMC services can be provided by a valid telecom licence holder in India through domestic and foreign satellites having the permission of the Department of Space.
- The IFMC licenses will be granted against annual fee of Re 1 for a period of 10 years and the permit holder will have to pay licence fees and spectrum charges based on revenue earned from providing services.
- The IFMC service provider shall provide the operation of mobile communication services in aircraft at minimum height of 3000 meters in Indian airspace to avoid interference with terrestrial mobile networks.