Question: First ever Global Compact on Migration has been adopted at which of the following UN Convention?
- On 10th December, 2018, leaders and delegates of 160 countries participated in a conference supported by the United Nations in Morocco.
- Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration was adopted in this conference.
- Comprised of 23 objectives — all of which contain a commitment — the Global Compact on Migration outlines actions considered to be relevant policy instruments and best practices alongside measures for implementation, follow-up and review every four years, beginning in 2022.
- This agreement is based on the objectives and principles of the United Nations Charter.
- It is important that this global agreement has been adopted for safe, systematic and regular migration after discussion and consultation between United Nations member countries, local officials, civil society and migrants over a year.
- On 18th December, 1990, the United Nations General Assembly adopted an international conference on the rights of all migrant workers and the protection of their family members.
- In view of the number of growing migrants worldwide, on December 4th, 2000, the UN General Assembly announced to celebrate 18th December, as International Migrants Day.