Question: Consider the following statements about Fields Medal Award -2018:
- Manjul Bhargava is announced as one of the winners of 2018.
- This award is being provided since 1940.
- The award is provided under the supervision of International Mathematical Union.
Which among the above statements is/are correct?
(a) Only 1&2
(b) Only 2&3
(c) Only 1
(d) Only 3
- Renowned Indian-Australian mathematician Akshay Venkatesh has been bestowed with prestigious Fields Medal for his synthesis of analytic number theory, homogeneous dynamics, topology and representation theory, which has resolved long-standing problems in areas such as the equi-distribution of arithmetic objects.
- He was awarded on 1st August at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Rio de Janeiro.
- Other awardees of Fields Medal include Alessio Figalli of Italy, Peter Scholze of Germany and Caucher Birkar (Kurdish Iranian).
- Akshay Venkatesh is a New Delhi born mathematician who is currently teaching at Stanford University.
About Fields Medal:
- Fields Medal, often described as the Nobel Prize of mathematics is a prestigious award which is given to the individuals for their profound contribution in Mathematics who are under the age of 40 as on 1st January of the awarding year, this award was institutionalized in 1936.
- Fields Medal is awarded every four year on the occasion of the International Congress of the International Mathematical Union (IMU).
- The award constitutes a medal and cash prize of 15,000 Canadian Dollars that are funded by a trust established by J.C. Fields at the University of Toronto.