Question: Consider the following statements in reference to Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana:
1) Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Rural Development
2) It seeks to alleviate rural poverty through building sustainable community institutions of the poor
3) According to the report, the pace of reduction of poverty in India has speeded up in recent years as per the Global Multi – dimensional Poverty Index 2018.
Of the above correct statement/s is /are:
(a) Only 1
(b) only 2
(c) only 3
(d) All of the above
- The recently published Global Multi-dimensional Poverty Index 2018 reported the pace of reduction of poverty in India has speeded up in recent as also the note published by The Brookings Institution.
- The Deendayal Antodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) is aimed at alleviation of rural poverty through building sustainable community institutions of the poor. It is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Rural Development.
- It seeks to mobilize about 9 crore households into SHGs and link them to sustainable livelihood opportunities by building their skills and enabling them to access formal sources of finance, entitlements and services from both public and private sectors.
- The achievements of the Mission during April 2014 to November 2018 in key areas are Mission Footprint, community Institution Building, Financial Inclusion, Etc.
- Mission Footprint: During the period, 2411 additional blocks have been covered under the “Intensive” strategy. Cumulatively, the Mission is being implemented in 5,123 blocks spread across 612 districts of 29 States and 5 Union Territories (UTs).
- Community Institution Building: Between April 2014 and November 2018, more than 3 crore rural poor women have been mobilized into 26.9lakh Self Help Group (SHGs) across the country. Cumulatively, more than 5.63 crore women have been mobilized into more than 49.7 lakh SHGs.
- Financial Inclusion: The loans outstanding to SHGs have increased from Rs. 32,565 crores in March 2014 to Rs. 76,591 crore in October 2018. Cumulatively, Rs.1.96 lakh crore worth of bank credit has been leveraged by the SHGs during the last five years.
- Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme: DAY-NRLM has been promoting SVEP to promote and strengthen rural start-ups in the non-farm and off-farm sector.
- Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) was launched in August 2017 to provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services to connect remote rural villages. As on November 2018, proposals from 17 States have been approved and 624 vehicles are currently plying on road.