Question: Name the Australian Research Station which signed MOU with DGMS (Directorate General of Mines Safety), in context of safety in mines recently?
- On 16th January 2019, Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between DGMS & SIMTARS.
- SIMTARS (Safety in Mines, Testing and Research Station) is the Australian Research Station involved with DGMS (Directorate General of Mines Safety), in context of Memorandum of Understanding between India & Australia on the safety in mines.
- The memorandum of understanding will become operative from the date of signing and remain in effect for three years.
Key points of MOU:
- To implement risk based safety management system, providing training,
- organizing, conference, seminar and other technical meetings, setting up occupations safety and health academy and national mine disaster centre, and
- Modernizing R&D laboratory of DGMS.
Facts about mining in Australia:
- Mining accident rates in Australia is the lowest in the world.
- Australia has pioneered in conceptualizing and implementing risk based Safety Management Plans for the mining sector using the technique of hazard identification and risk assessment.
- SIMTARS is known to have exclusive expertise in Mines Safety Management Systems.