Question- Which of the following alternative is true about Animal welfare board of India?
(a)It is under Ministry of Environment, forest and climate change.
(b)It is a statutory advisory body.
(d)None of the above.
- Union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi accused the AWBI for not enforcing rules that specify how animals can be depicted in films and television shows.
- The board is India’s apex body for ensuring that animals are not mistreated.
- She alleged that the committee did not seek details of the species being used, which were required to determine whether they were protected.
About Animal Welfare Board of India:-
- It was established under Section 4 of The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, in 1962.
- The board is a statutory advisory body of government of India on animal welfare laws.
- The Board was initially within the jurisdiction of the Government of India’s Ministry of Food and Agriculture.
- In 1990, the subject of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was transferred to the Ministry of Environment, forest and climate change.