Question. what is the name of the air pollution mitigation device recently inaugurated by union minister for science and technology?
- Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest and Climate change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan recently inaugurated the air pollution mitigation device WAYU (Wind Augmentation PurifYing Unit) at the traffic junction at ITO and Mukarba Chowk in Delhi.
- WAYU is developed by the Council of Scientific and research – National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) as a part of technology development project.
- A device that has been indigenously developed has the capacity to purify the air in an area of 500-meter Consumes only half a unit of electricity for 10 hours of running and has a maintenance cost of only Rs. 1500 per month.
- The device works on two principles mainly Wind generation for dilution of air pollutants and Active Pollutants removal.The device has filters for Particulate Matter removal and activated carbon (charcoal) and UV lamps for poisonous gases removal such as VOCs and Carbon Monoxide.
- The device has one fan and filter for sucking and removing Particulate Matter. There are two UV lamps and half kg of activated carbon charcoal coated with special chemical Titanium Dioxide. By 15th October, the ministry has planning to install 54 more WAYU devices.
By Ramayan Upadhyay