Question: The 7th Meeting of SAARC Ministers of Interior/Home was held at-
- On 4 August 2016; the 7th Meeting of SAARC Ministers of Interior/Home concluded in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- This was preceded by the seventh meeting of the SAARC secretaries of Interior/Home on August 3.In which Union home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi has led the Indian delegation at the meeting.
- Apart from terrorism, other key issues discussed includes liberalisation of visa, illegal trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and small arms and how to make coordinated and concerted efforts to combat such menace.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh led the Indian delegation in 7th Meeting of SAARC Ministers of Interior/Home.
- In addition, on India’s behalf he had placed the following suggestions
1. The will and the mandate of the international community against proscribed and wanted terrorists and their organizations must be respected and implemented.
2. Attempts to distinguish between good and bad terrorists should be done away with, as this would be a mistake.
3. Immediate and effective action is required against all those who support or encourage international terrorism in any way, whether they are state or non-state actors.
4. Effective measures to be taken to ensure that those involved in terrorist acts do not escape prosecution and punishment, and are extradited so that they cannot escape prosecution.
5. All member states, which have not ratified SAARC convention on Mutual Assistance on Criminal Matters, need to ratify the same.
6. Member states who have not yet given their acceptance to set up SAARC Terrorist Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) should give their concurrence for the same.
7. He made a special mention at the Conference on the number of new initiatives taken in India such as “Track Child” and “Operation Smile”. In addition, I brought to the notice of the participants the measures taken by the Indian Government for honest, transparent and accountable governance through schemes such as “Jan Dhan Yojana” and “Aadhaar”.
- The following initiatives were declared on India’s behalf in the SAARC meeting of Home Ministers and Home Secretaries:-
1. Technical assistance for effective implementation of STOMD and SDOMD
2. To seek the concurrence of member states to participate in the second High Level Group of eminent experts to strengthen the SAARC Anti-Terrorism Mechanism being hosted by India on September 22-23, 2016. Fortunately all member states agreed.
3. Capacity Building Programmes in India to strengthen drug control mechanisms of member States.
4. Offered to host the first meeting of SAARC Computer Emergency Response Teams (CERTs).