Question: At which of the following places the 44th Summit of G-7 nations concluded during June 8- 9, 2018?
(a) Charlevoix Quebec City, Canada
(b) Ise-Shima, Japan
(c) Taormina, Italy
(d) Brussels, Belgium
- During 8-9 June, 2018, the 44th Summit of G-7 nations concluded in Charlevoix Quebec City, Canada.
- This was the sixth opportunity when Canada hosted the summit.
- Earlier Canada had hosted it in the year 1981, 1988, 1995, 2002 and 2010.
- It is notable that on May 26-27, 2017, at the 43rd Summit of G-7 held in Taormina (Italy), chairmanship of 44th Summit was given to the Canada.
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, French President Emmanuel Macron, US President Donald Trump, British Prime Minister Theresa May, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, joined the G-7 Summit.
- The European Union was represented by the European Commission President Jean Claude Juncker and European Council President Donald Tusk.
- On the closing of this two-day summit, leaders of G-7 member countries said they are committedto permanently ensuring that Iran’s nuclear program remains peaceful.
- It is known that the G-7 is an informal organization. it is no headquarter or secretariat. There is no charter at all.
- The selection of its president is based on the rotation system.
- In the Rambouillet near Paris, in 1975 In the backdrop of the global economic downturn and oil crisis of the 1970s, a meeting of the world’s most industrialized, democratic and non-socialist 6 nations – France, America, Britain, Italy, Germany, and Japan was organized on the call of the then President of France, Valery Giscardd’Estaing, in which this group was formed.
- In 1976, after the participation of Canada, this group came to be known as G-7.
- The European Union’s participation began with this group since 1977 but it is not considered as a separate member.
- With the joining of Russia in G-7 in the year 1994, this group was known as G8 from the year 1997.
- It is significant that on March 27, 2014 Russia was suspended from the organization indefinitely by the original G-7 countries.
- Now it is again known as G-7.
- The 45th summit of the G-7 nations will be organized in France in 2019.