Question: The 3rd National Standards Conclave was held at-
(b) New Delhi
- On 23-24 June 2016; The 3rd National Standards Conclave was held in New Delhi.
- It was organized by Department of Commerce, Government of India in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and the National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies (NABCB) and other knowledge partners.
- The Conclave was inaugurated by Commerce and Industry Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The objective of the two day Conclave was to bring awareness and prepare Industries, Central Government Ministries, State Governments, regulatory/standards setting and conformity assessment bodies on the growing importance of “Standards” in the changing scenario of global trade.
- The Standards Conclave was held in the backdrop of diminishing importance of tariffs and rising influence of standards and regulation both in goods and services trade.
- It must be recognized that the days of differential standards – low for domestic market and high for exports – are over and if the Indian industry has to survive and thrive, it has to adopt global standards.
- The conclave shall fulfil the vision of Hon’ble Prime Minister for “Zero Defect, Zero Effect” and Make in India campaigns.