Question- Which of the following statements is NOT correct regarding FDCs DRUGS?
A. FDCs DRUGS are a combination of two or more active drugs packed in a single dose.
B. FDCs DRUGS are recommended for non-communicable diseases (NCDs) only.
C. Painkiller Saridon and skin cream Panderm are among the banned drugs.
D. Unnecessary use of FDCs DRUGS makes the human body resistant to treatment.
- In an order to prevent irrational use of Fixed-dose combination drugs (FDCs) DRUGS, the union ministry of health and family welfare on Wednesday banned the manufacturing and distribution of 328 varieties of FDCs.
- In compliance with the directions given by the honorable Supreme Court in a judgment examining the DTAB report on FDCs, it was necessary and expedient in public interest to ban these drugs.
- This step has been taken on the recommendation of Drug Technical Advisory Board (DTAB) an advisory works under Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), the national regulatory body for Indian pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- FDCs are the combination of two or more active drugs packed in a single dose. In Indian market more than 2,000 FDCs are marketed, which is 4 times more than the US pharmaceuticals market.
- Fixed dose combination of aceclofenac + paracetamol + rabeprazole was used as Anti-pyretic and Anti-biotic and Nimesulide + Paracetamol used as painkiller and anti-pyretic. Many popular drugs such as Painkiller Saridon and skin cream Panderm are among the banned drugs.
- Banning of these drugs was pending for more than 2 years since March, 2016. Keeping in view the unnecessary use of FDCs DRUGS makes the human body resistant to treatment, government has taken the decision and advised physician to be aware of usages of FDCs.