Question: Where has the DRDO recently inaugurated its Igniter Complex on 5th November, 2019?
(c) New Delhi
(c) New Delhi
- MoS of Defence, Shripad Naik inaugurated the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) Igniter Complex at High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) in Pune on 5th November, 2019.
High Energy Materials Research Laboratory:
- HEMRL is a premier laboratory of DRDO and primarily engages in developing Rocket and Gun Propellants, Pyrotechnic Devices, High Explosive Systems and synthesis of high energy molecules.
- HEMRL has created a state of the art facility for design, processing and evaluation of ignition systems. The facility consists of process, assembly & storage buildings and a design centre.
- Remotely controlled sophisticated equipments such as Sieve Shaker, Planetary Mixer, Granulating Machine, Pelleting Machine etc are installed in the process buildings. Design, modelling and simulation laboratory; assembly and testing centre are also part of Igniter Complex.
- Ignition is a crucial and highly critical phenomenon in the ignition chain of Rocket motor.
- HEMRL has developed various fuel /oxidizer based igniter compositions using organic binders. The laboratory has developed several ignition systems to ensure reliable initiation of rocket motors of various tactical as well as strategic missiles.
- Ignition system for Agni, Prithvi, Akash, Nag, Pinaka, Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM), etc. have been designed and developed in HEMRL.
- Technology for AKASH, Nag missiles and Pinaka Mk-I Rocket has been transferred to Ordnance Factory, Dehu Road, Pune and private industries.