Question:Who demonstrated electrochemical intercalation of lithium in graphite at the University of Pennsylvania?
(a) Samar Basu
(b) Adam Heller
(c) Martin Cooper
(d) None of the above
- In recent research (April, 2019), scientists have discovered a high capacity lithium-ion battery that can charge in a matter of minutes.
- This discovery claims to improve battery performance for consumer electronics, solar grid storage, and electric vehicles.
- The research was published in the Journal of Nature Communications.
- A lithium-ion battery or Li-ion battery is a type of rechargeable battery, first proposed by chemist M Stanley Whittingham at Exxon in the 1970s.
- A lithium-ion battery charges and discharges move between two electrodes, called an anode and a cathode.
- In a traditional lithium-ion battery the anode is made of graphite, while the cathode is composed of lithium cobalt oxide.
- These materials perform well together, lithium-ion batteries have becomes increasingly popular, but now researchers believe the function can be enhanced further.
- Nikhil Koratkar (corresponding author) and his team improved the performance of batteries by substituting cobolt oxide with vanadium disulfide (VS2).
- It gives higher energy density because it is light. Since it is conductive it has faster – charging capability.
- 1973-Adam Heller proposed the lithium thionyl chloride battery.
- 1977-Samar Basu demonstrated electrochemical intercalation of lithium in graphite at the University of Pennsylvania.