Ques: Which airport recently became the first in the world to operate completely on solar power?
a. Indira Gandhi International Airport
b. Cochin International Airport
c. Subhash Chandra Bose Airport
d. Bangaluru International Airport
- On 18 August, 2015 Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy inaugurated the 12 MW solar power plant, comprising 46,150 solar panels laid across 45 acres near the cargo complex at Cochin International Airport.
- With this, the airport will have 50k to 60k units of electricity per day to be consumed for all its operational functions, which technically makes the airport ‘absolutely power neutral’.
- It is the first airport (setup under PPP model) in the world to operate completely on solar power.
- Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) had ventured into the Solar PV sector during March 2013, by installing a 100 KW solar PV Plant on the roof top of the Arrival Terminal Block.
- The plant was installed by the Kolkata-based Vikram Solar Pvt. Ltd.
- Plant equipped with a SCADA system, through which remote monitoring is carried out.