Question- Who amongst the following launched the ‘CMSMS’ and ‘Khan Prahari’ app?
(a) Suresh Prabhu
(b) Piyush Goyal
(c) Narendra Singh Tomar
(d) Nitin Gadkari
- On July 4, 2018 Union Minister of Coal, Railways, Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the Coal Mine Surveillance & Management System (CMSMS) and Mobile Application ‘Khan Prahari’ at a ceremony at, New Delhi.
- This App is developed by CMPDI, Ranchi a Subsidiary of CIL and Bhaskarcharya Institute of Space Application and Geo-informatics (BISAG).
- The basic objective of CMSMS is reporting, monitoring and taking suitable action on unauthorised coal mining activities.
- The CMSMS is a web based GIS application through which location of sites for unauthorised mining can be detected.
- The basic platform used in the system is of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology’s (MeiTY) map which provides village level information.
- The leasehold boundary of all the coal mines is displayed on this map.
- The system will use satellite data to detect changes by which unauthorised mining activity extending beyond the allotted lease area can be detected and suitable action can be taken on it.
- It is the working of the concept of ‘cooperative federalism’ in action.
- The complaint originating from coal mines allotted to Coal India will go to Coal India Offices and those originating from coal blocks not allotted to Coal India will go straight to the State Government Officers and for each complaint the alert will also go to the District Magistrate and SP of the district.
- The system also uses information provided by responsible citizens using smartphones using the mobile application “Khan Prahari’.
- Khan Prahari is a tool for reporting any activity taking place related to illegal coal mining like rat hole mining, pilferage etc. One can upload geo-tagged photographs of the incident along with textual information directly to the system.
- The complainant can also track his complaint through the system. The identity of the complainant shall not be revealed. This app can easily be downloaded in Android and IOS.
- The uniqueness of the system is that it uses satellite data as well as public input to capture information on unauthorised coal mining activities and also take appropriate action on them with due transparency.
- The CMSMS will also provide other important information like reclamation work being done by Coal India Limited which is being monitored every year by CMPDI using satellite data.
- Status of Environmental Clearances /Forest Clearances etc. are also linked for information in this system.
See also the links below:-