Ques: In which one of the following country the 24th CHOGM (Common wealth heads of Government Meeting) summit was held –
- Summit of Commonwealth’s 53 members occurring every two years, 24th summit held from 27-29 November, 2015 at island state of Malta which is located in the Mediterranean Sea.
- The theme of the 2015 summit was ‘The Commonwealth – Adding Global Value’.
- Commonwealth leaders met in Malta to address global issues such as climate change, building resilience in small states, trade and sustainable development, the empowerment of youth, gender equality and human rights.
- External Affairs Minister of India Smt. Sushma Swaraj represented India in CHOGM summit.
- Commonwealth leaders have agreed to set up a climate change hub to facilitate access to funds for the small and poor countries.
- Member countries agreed to encouragement of soundness of democracy and construction of the rule of law, rise of small nations, the creation of economic opportunities, create effective youth leadership, promote inclusive growth, the realization of human rights for all and to improve public services.
- Patricia Scotland of Dominica was selected new Secretary General the first woman to hold the post.
- Baroness Scotland, former UK Attorney General, will take office on 1 April 2016 as the sixth Secretary-General since the Commonwealth Secretariat was established in 1965. She will replace Kamalesh Sharma of India, whose eight-year tenure comes to an end in March next year.
- The next CHOGM summit is proposed in London.
- The members have a combined population of 2.2 billion people, Queen Elizabeth II who serves as the Head of the Commonwealth.