Question: Recently Memorandum of Understanding was approved between India and UK on-
(a) Cancer research initiative
(b) Promoting sports
(c) Minerals research initiatives
- On 7 March 2019, Union Cabinet approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and UK on cancer research initiative.
- The MoU was signed on 14th November 2018.
- The India-UK Cancer Research Initiative will identify issues of affordability, prevention and care of cancer by bringing together leading Indian and UK experts across clinical research, demographic research, new technologies and physical sciences.
- Over 5 years, the total research funding for the Initiative shall be 10 million pounds (approx. Rs. 90 crores).
- CRUK’s share for such funding shall be 5 million pounds (approx. Rs. 45 crores). DBT (Department of Biotechnology) shall match such funding by 5 million pounds (approx. Rs.45 crores).
- The India-UK Cancer Research Initiative sets forth a roadmap for catalyzing collaborations that align the best researchers, scientists, healthcare organizations and institutions to a multi-disciplinary research platform leading to high value, low cost outcomes for cancer care.
- The India-UK Cancer Research Initiative is a collaborative 5-year bilateral research initiative by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, India and Cancer Research UK (CRUK) that will focus on affordable approaches to cancer.