Question: Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics was given to which of the following image?
(a) Ozone layer
(b) Mars Photograph
(c) Black hole Image
(d) None of the above
- The 347 scientists collaborated to produce the world’s first image of a black hole.
- On 5th September, 2019, they were honored with the Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, winning $3 million dollars. The award is referred as the Oscars of science.
- They were able to achieve an unprecedented resolution and observe the black hole’s silhouette for the first time in history, confirming theoretical predictions about these celestial objects.
- Now in its eighth year, the Breakthrough Prize was launched by Silicon Valley entrepreneurs to recognize and reward the world’s top scientists.
- They will be recognized at a gala awards ceremony on November 3, at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California.