Question: A book titled The Unquiet River authored by noted historian Arupjyoti Saikia, is based upon the biography of which river?
- A book titled The Unquiet River: A biography of the Brahmaputra is going to be released in November 2019.
- It has been published by Oxford University Press (OUP) and authored by historian Arupjyoti Saikia.
- Placing the river Brahmaputra at the centre the book has recreated the sequential history of Assam.
- The Brahmaputra River geologically is the youngest among the major rivers in the world yet it is known as a moving ocean.
- The river Brahmaputra travels 2880 km from its origin in the young Himalayan range through the Tibet and played major role in shaping the landscape of the Assam valley.
- Before finally merging with the sea in Bangladesh, the river gives many things to the people of Assam as well as providing them livelihoods.
- The book claims to combine a range of disciplinary scholarship to unravel the geological forces as well as human endeavour which have shaped the river into what it is today.
- The book describes the river’s long journey from past to the present time and its central role in the beat of Assam.