Question: Bali Jatra, one of the biggest trade fairs of Odisha, is organised during?
(b) December January
(c) February March
- Bali Jatra, one of the biggest trade fairs of Odisha,kick started from 12th November 2019.The annual grand festival will be observed till 19th November 2019.
- The festival is also known Boita Bandaṇa, which literally means ‘A Voyage to Bali’.
- This year’s Baliyatra is jointly organized by Cuttack District Administration, Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) and District Cultural Council.
Cultural aspects of Bali Jatra:
- Bali Jatra the annual festival is celebrated from day of Kartika Purnima (according to Odia Calendar), which comes around end of October and November.
- Bali Jatra is celebrated as a large open fair near Barabati Fort area at Gadagadia Ghata of Mahanadi River in Cuttack.
- On this occasion several cultural programs has been organised and traders setup different stalls of games and food, selling Odia delicacies.
- It is celebrated to mark the day when ancient Sadhabas (Odia mariners) would set sail to distant lands of Bali, Java, Sumatra as well as Sri Lanka for trade and cultural expansion.
- People of Odisha gather near banks of Mahanadi River, Brahmani River, or other river banks, ponds to float miniature toy boats, made of colored paper as a symbolic gesture of their ancestors’ voyage.