Question: In which state the ambitious scheme Ayushman Bharat was launched on 14 April 2018?
- The Ayushman Bharat was launched on 14th April 2018 with the inaugural of a HWC at Jangla, a remote place in Chattisgarh, culminated in the launch of the second pillar of Ayushman Bharat- the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) on 23 Sept, 2018 in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare launched the Ayushman Bharat Pakhwara, a fortnight of enhancing awareness about the Yojana, (15th-30th September 2019).
- This fortnight-long national campaign is launched to enhance awareness around the preventive, promotive and curative aspects of health care, nutrition, yoga and healthy lifestyle through Ayushman Bharat and other related initiatives such as Poshan Abhiyaan and Swachhta Abhiyaan.
- The Union health Minister also stated that to mark the first year anniversary of PMJAY, the National Health Authority is organizing a 2-day national workshop, Arogya Manthan, on September 30th and October 1st, 2019.
Major highlights of this scheme:
- Under the Ayushman Bharat scheme, more than 21,000 Health & Wellness Centres have become operational and about 47 lakh people have availed of treatments under its Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) pillar.
- While the 1.5 lakh Health & Wellness Centres (to be operationalised by Dec 2022) provide comprehensive primary care (CPHC) including preventive and promotive healthcare close to the communities, PMJAY covers 50 crore poor and vulnerable people in the country. It provides a health assurance cover of Rs. 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care for serious and catastrophic illnesses.
- More than 1.5 Crore population is screened for hypertension and more than 70 lakhs people are put on treatment; similarly, around 1.3 crore population are screened for Diabetes and more than 31 lakhs people are on treatment.
- More than 76 lakhs population is screened for oral cavity cancer and out of these, 10,218 people are on treatment. In addition, more than 1.6 Crores have been provided medicines and around 49 lakhs population are provided diagnostic services.
- More than 47 lakh hospital treatments worth over Rs 7,500 crore have been carried out under this scheme. Of the total amount utilised, 55% has been on tertiary procedures.
- In addition, more than 10 crore beneficiary cards have been issued. As on date, 32 States and Union Territories are implementing the PMJAY.
- Under AB-PMJAY, 18,073 hospitals and health care providers have been empanelled across the country. Of this, 53% of the hospitals empanelled are private, especially multi-speciality, and 62% of the treatments have been in these private hospitals.
- Nearly all States and Union Territories and get whole-hearted political and administrative support for it. This is a demonstration of the highest ideals of cooperative federalism.