Question: Recently, a Veterinary Protocol has been finalized by which two countries?
(a) China- Russia
(b) India- Australia
(c) India- Japan
(d) Russia- USA
- Australia and India finalized a new veterinary health protocol on 15th July, 2019 for the export of Australian breeder sheep to India to give a boost to its fine wool sector and textiles industry.
- Australia’s High Commissioner to India, Harinder Sidhu, has exchanged the protocol with Secretary, Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Tarun Shridhar.
- Veterinary Health Protocol was agreed between the Indian Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying and the Australian Department of Agriculture,
- This protocol will support India’s efforts to develop its fine wool sector and the textiles industry using Australian production expertise and genetic stock.
- Australia and India have built the foundations of its agriculture relationship over decades, with cooperation on wheat and wool stemming back to the 1960s.
- Australian sheep will be part of a sheep breeding programme for wool development, an initiative under India’s National Livestock Mission.
- It is expected that the first sheep will arrive in India in September-October 2019 for settling at the Uttarakhand State Wool Development Board.