Question: On 14th October, 2019 The Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) 2019 was released. Which of the following agency/agencies was/were involved in preparation of this report?
Select the correct answer from the following codes
(a) i & ii
(b) ii & iii
(c) i & iii
- On 14th October, 2019; The Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) 2019 was released.
- The theme of APTIR 2019 is: Navigating Non-tariff Measures (NTMs) towards Sustainable Development.
- The report was been published by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- It provides insights into the impact of recent and emerging developments in trade and foreign direct investment on countries’ abilities to meet the challenges of achieving sustainable development.
- The report provides information on developments in (a) intra- and inter-regional trade in goods and services (b) foreign direct investment (c) trade facilitation measures (d) trade policy measures and (e) preferential trade policies and agreements.
- The report has said that the Non-tariff measures (NTMs) have increased in the past two decades and are affecting trade as well sustainable development goals (SDGs) in Asian countries.
- Around half the Asia-Pacific’s economies have at least one NTM addressing water and energy efficiency and only 10% have measures addressing illegal, unreported and unregulated(IUU) fishing and illegal timber trade.
- NTMs can also affect foreign direct investment negatively which may slow down countries’ economic activities. It can also have a direct impact on the performance of trading partners.
- The report closes by offering sets of national-and regional-level policy recommendations for streamlining NTMs for sustainable benefits.