Question: M.C. Mary Kom in the recently concluded ASBC Asian Women’s boxing championship won the gold medal. How many gold medals have Mary Kom won in the Asian boxing championship?
- ASBC Asian Female Boxing Championship, 2017 Ho Chi Minh, completed in Vietnam. (November 2-8, 2017)
- Five-time world champion and famous Indian woman boxer by the nickname ‘Magnificent Mary’ MC Mary Kom won the gold medal for the fifth time in this championship.
- In the final of 48 kg weight class, Mary defeated Kim Hyang Mi of North Korea 5-0.
- This is Mary’s first medal in the Light flyweight 48 kg weight category.
- India won a total of 7 medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 5 bronze) in the championship.
- Mary Kom became the world’s first boxer to win 5 gold medals in the Asian Championships.
- She participated in Asian boxing 6 times and reached the final every time.
- 5 times she won gold medal and won the silver medal in Guwahati in the year 2008.
- The International Boxing Association gave her the nickname ‘Magnificent Mary’ in 2010.
- 35-year-old Mary Kom is also the Rajya Sabha MP and Government Supervisor of Boxing in India.
- She got the Arjuna Award in 2003, the Padma Shri in 2006, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2009 and the Padma Bhushan in 2013.
- Other medal winners in the championship
- Sonia Lather (57kg) – Silver
- Shiksha (54kg) – Bronze
- Priyanka Chaudhary (60kg) Bronze
- Lashram Sarita Devi (64kg) Bronze
- Lavina Borgohein (69kg) – Bronze
- Seema Punia (81+kg) – Bronze
- Chief Coach-Shiv Singh
- The best boxer award for the championship was given to Lin Yu Ting (Chinese Taipei).