Ques: Aqeela Asifi has been awarded the 2015 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award. She is a refugee of-
d. Sri Lanka
- September 15, 2015 the UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award was announced to be given to Aqeela Asifi.
- It is notable that she is an Afghan refugee.
- Aqeela Asifi, 49, is being recognized for her brave and tireless dedication to education for Afghan refugee girls in the Kot Chandana refugee village in Mianwali, Pakistan – while herself overcoming the struggles of life in exile.
- Asifi is a former teacher who fled from Kabul with her family in 1992, finding safety in the remote refugee settlement of Kot Chandana.
- UNHCR’s Nansen Refugee Award honors extraordinary service to the forcibly displaced.
- The award includes a commemorative medal and a US$100,000 monetary prize.
- It is notable that the Colombian women’s organization “Butterflies” were given the Nansen Refugee Award 2014.
- The awardees were three members of Butterflies, Mery Medina, Gloria Amparo and Maritza Asprilla Cruz.
- Asifi will receive the award at a ceremony in Geneva on October 5, hosted by UNHCR, the Norwegian Refugee Council, Swiss and Norwegian authorities.
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly.
- UNHCR safeguards the rights and well-being of refugees and stateless people.