Question: What is the date of result decided for the upcoming General Elections of 2019 as per the announcement of Election Commission?
(a) 21 May
(b) 22 May
(c) 23 May
(d) 26 May
- The Election Commission of India announced the schedule for the General Elections of 2019 on March 10, 2019.
- This was announced in a press conference done by Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora.
- The date of counting (result announcement) was announced to be 23 May, 2019.
Important highlights of the announcements of 17th Lok Sabha elections:
- The five-year term of the 16th Lok Sabha is due to expire on 3rd June, 2019. Article 324 of the Constitution of India bestows the relevant powers, duties and functions upon the Election Commission of India while Section 14 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 provides for the conduct of the elections to constitute a new Lok Sabha before the expiry of its current term.
- General elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha and Sikkim shall be held on the basis of the extent of Assembly Constituencies as contained in the said Delimitation Order, 2008.
- The Commission has decided to use Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) alongwith Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) at every polling station of all the States and Union Territories to enhance the transparency and credibility of the election process as VVPAT allows the voter to verify his/her vote. 17.74 lakh VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail) Machine in 10.35 lakh Pooling Booths.
- There will be ‘None of the Above’ (NOTA) option for the elections. It will be present in voting machine as the last button. In Postal Ballot Paper it will be available after the name of last candidate.
- The General elections will take place in seven phases starting from April 11, 2019 as per the announcement.
- The first phase will have the voting for 91 seats in 20 states and Union Territories on April 11, 2019.
- The second phase will have the voting for 97 seats in 13 states and Union Territories on April 19, 2019.
- The third phase will have the voting for 115 seats in 14 states and Union Territories on April 23, 2019.
- The fourth phase will have the voting for 71 seats in 9 states and Union Territories on April 29, 2019.
- The fifth phase will have the voting for 51 seats in 7 states and Union Territories on May 6, 2019.
- The sixth phase will have the voting for 59 seats in 7 states and Union Territories on May 12, 2019.
- The seventh phase will have the voting for 59 seats in 8 states and Union Territories on May 19, 2019.
- Results will be announced on 23rd May, 2019 for all the seats.
- All citizens who turned 18 years on 1st January, 2019 and registered as electors will get opportunity to cast their vote in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections and in the respective Vidhan Sabha elections of those States where it will be held.
- Following is the data of number of Electors at the time of final publication of Special Summary Revision Roll 2019. General Electors across the States and UTs are 896076899. General Electors with disability total are up to 4563905. Overseas Indian Electors total are 71735. Service Electors total are 1662993. Thus, total number of Electors as of now for 2019 Electoral Roll is 897811627.
- There will be 1.5 crore first time voters in the Lok Sabha Elections 2019.