Question: Which climate activist is conferred with the prominent Amnesty International Prize recently?
(a) Dia Mirza
(b) Luisa Neubauer
(c) Greta Thunberg
(d) Njeri Kabeberi
- The 16-year-old teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg from Sweden has been conferred with Amnesty International Human Right Award.
- She was awarded for mobilising world public opinion on the looming peril of global warming.
- She started an international youth movement against climate change when she protested outside the Swedish parliament in 2018.
- People who have received this award in the past include Malala Yousafzai, Alicia Keys and Nelson Mandela.
- The head of Amnesty International, Kumi Naidoo, appreciated her environment related work in a statement announcing the prize from his organisation.
- Thunberg has announced that she is taking a year off school to pursue her campaigning.
- Her popular protest movements include Skip School and protest on Fridays, became a global movement in which school and college students protested and demonstrated for climate change action.