Question: Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL) is an Indian defence laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) located in?
(d) Andhra Pradesh
- On 30th October, 2019; Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh witnessed Operation of the land-based prototype engineered to the form-and-fit of a submarine.
- This was a part of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)’s programme to build a fuel cell-based Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system for Indian Naval Submarines.
- This operation was performed at the Naval Materials Research Laboratory in Ambernath, Maharashtra.
- Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G. Satheesh Reddy were also present on the occasion.
- Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) has a force multiplier effect on lethality of a diesel electric submarine as it enhances the submerged endurance of the boat, several folds.
- Fuel cell-based AIP has merits in performance compared to other technologies.
- The DRDO Chairman assured that all efforts will be made to meet the performance standards and timelines of the programme.
- He also said that induction of DRDO AIP into operational Submarines could be achieved as per Indian Navy schedule.