Question: In which year former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was conferred India’s highest civilian honour, the ‘Bharat Ratna’?
(d) None of the Above
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi released a commemorative 100-rupee coin in honour of former Prime Minister, Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee on 24th December, 2018.
- Vajpayee was born on 25 December 1924 in Gwalior. He was a stalwart loved and respected across all sections of society.
- Parliamentarian for over four decades, he was elected nine times to the Lok Sabha, twice to the Rajya Sabha and served as the Prime Minister of India for three terms, 1996, 1998, 1999-2004. He was Minister of external affairs during 1977-79 and was awarded the “Best Parliamentarian” in 1994.
- Bharat Ratna award was originally confined to the arts, literature, science, and public services, as per the 1954 regulations. In December 2011, the rules were changed to include “any field of human endeavor”.
- Former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shashtri became the first individual to honoured posthumously.
- In 2014, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, then aged 40, became the youngest recipient. While social reformer Dhondo Keshav Karve was awarded on his 100th Birthday.