Question: Which party has been recently recognized as the 8th National Party of India by the ECI?
(a) Bahujan Samaj Party
(b) Assam Gana Parishad
(c) Telangana Rashtra Samiti
(d) National Peoples Party
- The Election Commission of India recognized the National People’s Party as the 8th National Party of India on 7th June, 2019.
- NPP is led by Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma. It became the first party from the North-east to be recognized as National Party.
- NPP fulfilled the National Party status requirement as it polled more than 6% of the total votes in the last general election and was recognised as a State party in at least four States (Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya and Nagaland)
- The NPP has 21 MLAs of 60 in Meghalaya state assembly. It is also the single largest political family in Meghalaya.
- The party also has five MLAs in Arunachal Pradesh and four in Manipur.
- Other seven national Party are Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Indian National Congress (INC), Communist Party of India (CPI), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Communist Party of India- Marxist (CPI-M), National Congress Party (NCP) and All India Trinamool Congress (TMC).
- Trinamool Congress led by West Bengal CM Mamta Banerjee was included in the list in September 2016.