Question: Which country has recently joined the International Solar Alliance (ISA) and became its 76th member?
- Palau, an archipelago of over 500 islands in Oceania became the 76th signatory country to join the International Solar Alliance.
- Palau`s President Tommy E. Remengesau, Jr. signed the Framework Agreement of the Solar Alliance on 16th July, 2019.
- India, France, Australia, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, Japan are signatories to the Alliance amongst others.
- The agreement was opened for signature during the COP22 at Marrakech on 15th November, 2016.
International Solar Alliance (ISA):
- The International Solar Alliance is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India.
- The organisation aims to deploy over 1,000 GW of solar energy and mobilize more than USD 1,000 billion into solar power by 2030, according to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- In November 2018, the Centre gave ex-post facto approval for moving a resolution in the first assembly of the International Solar Alliance for amending its Framework Agreement to enable membership for all member countries of the UN.
- Inclusion of the UN members to the Alliance will put solar energy in global agenda with the universal appeal for developing and deploying solar energy, as per the government press release.