Question: Which of the following city hosted the 4th India International Science Festival?
- On October 6th, 2018, the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 4thIndia International Science Festival in Lucknow.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President proclaimed that science has always been a part of Indian culture. Our ancestors uncovered the secrets of mathematics and the concept of zero. They had applied science in medicine and metallurgy.
- President pointed that from the Green Revolution to our space programme to the creation of a thriving biotech and pharmaceutical industry, science has driven our post -1947 modernisation.
- He further said that in the first quarter of the 21stcentury known by the age of robotics and precision manufacture, of bioinformatics and gene editing, in the period of Fourth Industrial Revolution and Artificial Intelligence, it is time for a quantum jump.
- Addressing the occasion President figured that in 2017, patent applications by Indian start–ups rose to 909. It was a 15-fold increase from the number in 2016 which was just 61.
- In 2018, India’s R&D investments will amount to an appreciable US$ 83.27 billion. The government has announced the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Scheme. It will promote development through innovation and has a budget of Rs 1,650 crore for seven years initiating from 2018-19.
- The President also pointed to the low participation of women in higher science. He noted that of the 3,446 scientists working at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, only 632 – or 18.3 per cent – are women.