Question: Name the Union Minister who received 4th annual Carnot Prize (2018) award held at the New Delhi?
(a) Piyush Goyal
(b) Nirmala Sitharaman
(c) Smriti Irani
(d) Ravi Shankar Prasad
- On 30th January 2019, Piyush Goyal Minister of Railways & Coal and former Minister of Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines (Government of India) received Carnot Prize 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. This is the 4th Annual Award of series.
- As per Kleinman Center for Energy Policy,the Carnot Prize recognizes India’s “solid footing to reach a 40% renewable mix by 2030”.
- This award has been conferred recognizing transformational changes in power sector—including the fast-track electrification of nearly 18,000 villages in some of the most remote and inaccessible parts of the country as well as rolling out a comprehensive power sector reform plan, the world’s largest LED bulb distribution program, and the world’s largest renewable energy expansion program under his tenure.
- The Award money received will be donated to the International Solar Alliance to institute the Diwakar Award.
- Carnot Prize is annual recognition of Kleinman Center for Energy Policy at the University of Pennsylvania intended to honor those leading revolutions in energy policy to further progress and prosperity.
- The award is named after French physicist Nicolas Sadi Carnot (Father of Thermodynamics).