Question: Who has been awarded ‘Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration’ for the year 2017 and 2018?
(a) Chandi Prasad Bhatt
(b) T. M. Krishna
(c) Mohan Dharia
(d) Ram Singh Solanki
- The 31st Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the year 2017 & 2018 has been awarded to environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt for his services in promoting and preserving National Integration in the country.
- Bhatt (85), native of Uttarakhand, had founded the Dasholi Gram Swarajya Sangh (DGSS) in Gopeshwar in 1964, which later became a mother organisation to the Chipko Movement, in which he was one of the pioneers.
- He has earlier been awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award for community leadership in 1982, followed by the Padma Bhushan in 2005 and Gandhi Peace Prize as well.
About 31st Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration:
- In order to uphold the cause of national integration and understanding which was dearest to Indira Gandhi’s heart, the Congress in its centenary year (1985) instituted the ‘Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration’, to give recognition to outstanding contribution to this cause by individuals or institutions
- The award consists of a citation and Rs 10 lakh in cash to be given to the awardee by the Congress president on 31st October, 2019, the Martyrdom Day of India’s former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- Former recipients of this Award are – Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Aruna Asaf Ali, Barat Scouts & Guides, P.N. Haksar, M.S. Subbulakshmi, Rajiv Gandhi (Postumous), Javed Akhtar, A.R. Rahman, Gulzar and Dr. M.S. Swaminathan.