Question: Where did the 22nd session of the UN Committee on Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) take place recently?
(a) New York
(a) New York
- India is a signatory of the United Nations Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). It ratified this Convention on 01 October 2007 in pursuance of Article 35 of the Convention.
- India submitted its First Country Report on Status of Disability in India in November 2015.
- The UN Committee on CRPD in its 22nd Session took up India’s First Country Report for consideration during 2nd & 3rd September 2019 at UNHRC, Geneva.
- An Indian delegation headed by Shakuntala D. Gamlin, Secretary, DEPwD deposed before the UN Committee during the process of consideration of the report.
Initiatives taken by Government for PwDs:
- The various initiatives taken by the Government in the recent past for inclusion and empowerment of PwDs in line with the obligations under UNCRPD like enactment of the Comprehensive RPwD Act, 2016, launch of Accessible India Campaign, establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) to address issues concerning psycho-social disability, etc.
- The UN Committee while appreciating the provisions of the RPwD Act, 2016 and various initiatives of the Government of India. It also welcomed the efforts of the Government of India and noted the response of the Indian delegation.