Question: Where did the 19th India Russia Inter Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation Meeting take place on 6th November, 2019?
(a) New Delhi
(a) New Delhi
- The 19th India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military and Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-M&MTC) meeting, co-chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Russian Defence Minister General Sergey Shoigu was held in Moscow on 6th November, 2019.
- Defence Minister inspected the Guard of Honour at the Russian Defence Ministry in Central Moscow. He was on the State visit to Russia from 5th to 7th November 2019.
Major highlights of the meeting:
- Rajnath Singh emphasized that the special and privileged strategic partnership between the two countries was further strengthened following the Vladivostok Summit in September 2019.
- He highlighted the importance of the Inter-Governmental Agreement on manufacturing of spares, components and aggregates in India through joint ventures that would reduce cost, timelines of supply and result in progressive indigenization. This agreement is expected to provide a major boost to the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- The Russian Defence Minister assured robust Russian participation in DefExpo 2020, to be held in Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow between February 5 and 8, 2020.
- Both Ministers also welcomed the outcome of the India-Russia Defence Industry Conference held in Moscow on November 5, 2019. The Russian side affirmed its readiness to operationalize the joint venture lndo-Russia Rifles Private Limited for the manufacture of world class Kalashnikov AK 203 rifles in India at the earliest.
- The Russian side reaffirmed its strong support to India in the field of counter-terrorism and stated that it accords priority to New Delhi’s security interests in the region.
- The ministers reviewed the progress of the two working groups on Military and Military Technical Cooperation. It was agreed that the forthcoming TriService Indra Exercises will be a major milestone in Military Cooperation between the two countries.
- Both sides agreed to intensify efforts to finalize cooperation programme for 2021-2030 period.
- Defence Minster visited St Petersburg on November 7, 2019 on the final day of his visit to Russia.