Ques: Where was the 5th World Athletics Championships 2015 held?
a. Moscow, Russia
b. Beijing, China
c. London, England
d. Berlin, Germany
- 15th World Athletics Championship event organized by IAAF-International Association of Athletics federations held in Beijing, China during 22-30 August, 2015.
- In 47 games, 1933 athletes out of 206 countries were participated for the competition.
- Jamaica’s Usain Bolt won 3 gold medals and in the world championships held so far he won total of 11 gold and 2 silver medals, thus remains the best athletes in the history of the world championships.
- Ghirmay Ghebreslassie of Eritrea in men’s track marathon took 2 hour, 12 Minutes, 28 Seconds to complete the race and won the gold medal. While Yemane Tsegay (Ethiopia) and Munyo Solomon Mutai (Uganda) won the silver and bronze medals respectively.
- However in women’s track Marathon, Mare Dibaba of Ethiopia took 2 hour, 27 Minutes, 35 Seconds to complete the race and won the gold medal. While Helah Kiprop (Kenya) and Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa (Bahrain) won the silver and bronze medals respectively.
- Important to know that Mare Dibaba is the first Ethiopian women to win gold medal in Marathon event.
- Usain Bolt of Jamaica won gold medal in 100 m, 200 m and 4*100 m relay event.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica won gold medal 3rd time (2009, 2013 and 2015) in the 100 m event in the World Athletic Championship. Also, along with Veronica Campbell-Brown, Natasha Morrison and Elaine Thompson, she claimed a second successive gold in the women’s 4x100m relay final.
- Britain’s Mohammed Farah won gold in men’s 5000 m and 10,000 m track racing competition.
- However, in women’s 5,000m and 10,000m race track Almaj Ayana (Ethiopia) and Vivian Jepkemoi Cheruiyot (Kenya) won gold medal respectively.
- The top five medal recipient countries are following-
- The country’s 18-member athlete’s team in the championship couldn’t receive a single medal.
- Host country China with 1 gold, 7 silver, and 1 bronze medal secured 11th position in the medal table.
- The 16th edition of the championships is proposed in London in 2017.
- In the men’s field Decathlon events, Ashton Eaton of USA won gold medal with the world record while silver and bronze medals in this event went to Damian Warner (Canada) and Rico Freimuth (Germany) respectively.
- In women’s 200m track racing event Netherlands Dafne Schippers win the gold medal with European championship record (21.63 seconds) and record of the event. However, silver and bronze medals went to Elaine Thompson (Jamaica) and Veronica Campbell-Brown (Jamaica) respectively.