World’s Largest LED Street Lighting Programme
Question: The Government of India set up Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of … .
a) The Energy Conservation Act, 2001
b) The Electricity Act, 2003
c) The Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948
d) None of the above
- On 9th January, 2017, Union Minister of Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal dedicated the LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) to the Nation.
- This scheme is currently running in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area.
- It is the World’s Largest Street Light Replacement Programme, which is being implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited, a joint venture under the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- The SLNP programme is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- A total of 15.59 lakh street lights have already been replaced in the country with LED bulbs, which is resulting in energy savings of 20.66 crore kWh, avoiding capacity of 51.47 MW and reducing 1.71 lakh tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per annum.
- The energy efficiency market in India is estimated at US$ 12 billion that can potentially result in energy savings of up to 20 per cent of current consumption, by way of innovative business and implementation models.
- Under the SLNP, South Delhi Municipal Corporation area alone accounts for over 2 lakh street light replacements. The cumulative annual energy savings in SDMC through this programme is 2.65 crore kWh which has helped to avoid capacity addition of 6.6 MW, resulting in a daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- Under the SLNP, South Delhi Municipal Corporation area alone accounts for over 2 lakh street light replacements. The cumulative annual energy savings in the area through this programme is 2.65 crore kWh which has helped to avoid capacity addition of 6.6 MW, and daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- The Minister inaugurated the Phase II of the street lighting programme, under which Energy Efficiency Services Limited has signed a tripartite agreement with BSES and South Delhi Municipal Corporation to install 75,000 more street lights with more focus on installation in parks.