Question: ‘World Tourism Day’ is celebrated on-
(a) September 26
(b) September 22
(c) September 27
(d) September 29
- On 27th September, 2017, World Tourism Day was celebrated across the world.
- Theme of this day for 2017 was ‘Sustainable Tourism-a Tool for Development’.
- The purpose of this day is to increase awareness on the role of tourism among the international community.
- It is notable that Last year alone, 1.235 million travellers crossed international borders in one single year.
- By 2030, this 1.2 billion will become 1.8 billion.
- The tourism industry contributes 10.2 percent of the world’s GDP.
- It is estimated that every 10th person in the world works in the tourism industry.
- In India too, the livelihood of a very large number of people is linked to the tourism industry.
- In the year 2016, tourism’s contribution to GDP was 9.6 percent and 9.3 percent to total employment.
- This year the ‘World Tourism Day’ event was held officially in Doha, Qatar.
- The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind presented the “National Tourism Awards, 2015-16” to various segments of the travel, tourism and hospitality industry at a function held in New Delhi.