Question: When ‘World’s Soil Day’ is celebrated?
(a) December 4
(b) December 1
(c) December 6
(d) December 5
- World Soil Day is celebrated on December 5, every year across the world.
- In the year 2017, its theme is: ‘Caring for the Planet Starts from the Ground’.
- On this occasion, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, called for ‘regular health’, ‘green field’ for regular testing of soil from farmers.
- 33% of the entire world’s soil has already been Infertile or degraded.
- Notable that 95 percent of our food comes from the soil.
- At present, food of 815 million people is unsafe and 2 billion people are naturally insecure, but we can reduce it through soil.
- The objective of this day is to increase awareness among the people towards soil health and the contribution of soil in life.
- The FAO Conference, in June 2013, unanimously endorsed World Soil Day and requested official adoption at the 68th UN General Assembly.
- In December 2013, the 68th UN General Assembly declared 5th of December as the World Soil Day.
- Since 2012, the FAO-GSP has been organizing celebration events of this important day.