World Heritage Day
Question: On April 18th, 2017, ‘World Heritage Day’ was celebrated across the world. How many of India’s current sites are included in the World Heritage List?
- On April 18th, 2017, World Heritage Day or International Day for Monuments and Sites was celebrated across the world.
- The aim to celebrate this day is to enhance awareness of the importance of world heritage sites and to attract people’s attention to protect and conserve them.
- In 1982, the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) based in France, announced April 18th as the “World Heritage Day”, approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983.
- Idea behind the International Day for Monuments and Sites or World Heritage Day was originated at a symposium organized by ICOMOS in Tunisia on April 18th, 1982.
- In present total 35 sites of India is included in the World Heritage list.
- Out of which 27 are of cultural category, 7 belong to natural and 1 is from mixed category.