Question: Where was the second meeting of India-Ethiopian Joint Commission held recently?
(d) New Delhi
- On May 09th, 2018, the Second Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) between the Republic of India and the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia was held in New Delhi.
- The Indian delegation was led by Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Hon’ble External Affairs Minister of India and the Ethiopian delegation was led by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia, H.E. Workneh Gebeyehu.
- During the JCM, both sides discussed various bilateral, regional and multilateral issues.
- The discussions focused on building closer cooperation in areas of defence cooperation, Lines of Credit, human resource development, capacity building, trade and investment, cultural exchanges and enhancing people to people contact. India reiterated its commitments towards development partnership with Ethiopia.
- The two sides also exchanged views on issues of mutual interest at regional and multilateral levels including cooperation at the United Nations and other international organizations.
- A Memorandum of Understanding between the Foreign Service Institute of India and the Foreign Service Training Institute of Ethiopia was signed between the two countries after the conclusion of JCM. JCM was preceded by a meeting of Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) on 8th May, 2018.
- Both sides expressed satisfaction on enhanced engagement at all levels between the two countries.
- Both sides underlined that India-Ethiopia partnership is underpinned by our shared values and strong economic and commercial partnership.
- The JCM held has an added significance as we embark on the celebration of 70 years of diplomatic relationship with Ethiopia.