Question: on April 23rd, 2017, ‘World Book and Copyright Day’ was celebrated all over the world. Which of the following cities has been chosen this year as the ‘World’s Book Capital’?
- On April 23rd, 2017, World Book and Copyright Day was celebrated across the world.
- World Book and Copyright Day is an opportunity to highlight the power of books to promote our vision of knowledge societies.
- This year, the African country of Guinea, Conakry has been chosen as World Book Capital.
- UNESCO created the World Book and Copyright Day in its General Conference, held in Paris in 1995, to pay a world-wide tribute to books and authors on this date, encouraging everyone.
- April 23 is a symbolic date in the world literature.
- On April 23rd, 1616, litterateur and author William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes and Inca Garci Lasso de la Vega were passed away.
Question: Sahitya Akademi has recently announced to give the Sahitya Akademi Translation Award-2016 Aniruddhan Vasudevan for translation in which of the following languages?
(a) Hindi language
(b) Malayalam language
(c) Tamil language
(d) English language
- On April 18th, 2017, Sahitya Akademi has announced to give translation prize in English 2016 to Aniruddhan Vasudevan.
- Vasudevan will receive this prize for his ‘One Part Woman’, a translation of Perumal Murugan’s controversial Tamil novel Maadhorubaaga.
- The selection was based on the recommendations made by a jury comprising Malayalam poet and critic K.
- Satchidanandan, writer Githa Hariharan and translator and historian A.R. Vankatachalapathy.
- The prize is awarded to books first published during five years immediately preceding the year of the award (i.e. between 1st January, 2010 and 31stDecember, 2014).
- Vasudevan will be felicitated with the award along with the other winners of the Sahitya Akademi award in 23 languages at a special function in June 2017.
- Prize consists of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque and a cheque of Rs 50,000.
- Translation prize 2016 in Malayalam language will be given to N.K. Desam for his translation Geethanjali by Rabindra Nath Tagore.
Question: – On April 22, 2017, ‘World Earth Day’ was celebrated all over the world. Which campaign has been started for this day in 2017?
(a) Tree for the Earth
(b) Water for the Earth
(c) Earth and climate change
(d) Environment and Climate Literacy
- On April 22, 2017; World Earth Day was celebrated all over the world.
- ‘World Earth Day’ is also celebrated as ‘International Mother Earth Day’.
- Keeping in mind this day in year 2017, Earth Day has started the Environmental and Climate Literacy Campaign.
- It is known that this day is being celebrated every year since 1970, to spread awareness about the Earth’s preservation.
- On April 22, 2009; United Nations given official recommendation to celebrate International Mother Earth Day.