Question: On November 1st, 2017, an unfortunate accident has taken place in NTPC power station at Unchahar. The boiler blast, was in which unit of the Plant?
(a) Unit 4
(b) Unit 5
(c) Unit 6
(d) Unit 7
- On November 1st, 2017, an unfortunate accident has taken place in NTPC power station at Unchahar.
- A sudden blast took place in boiler situated in UNIT 6 (500 MW).
- NTPC power plant at Unchahar is coal based power station.
- Primarily Blockages in the flue gas pipe in the unit has been found responsible for the blast.
- A panel headed by executive director S.K. Roy looking into the cause of the accident.
- The Panel has to submit his report in a month.
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has served a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government over the death of people in blast.
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved an ex- gratia of Rs. 2 lakh each for the next of kin of those who have lost their lives due to the accident at the NTPC plant in Raebareli, Uttar Pradesh.
- The Prime Minister has also approved Rs. 50,000 each for those injured due to the accident.
- It is noteworthy that NTPC is Maharatna Company having a power generation capacity of 51,708 MW.
- The company comprises of 48 NTPC Stations (20 Coal based stations, 7 combined cycle gas/liquid fuel based stations, 1 Hydro based station), 9 Joint Venture stations (8 coal based and one gas based) and 12 renewable energy projects.
- Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, J&K, Punjab, Rajasthan, Chandigarh, Delhi and Uttaranchal are the beneficiary state by the generation of power at NTPC power station at Unchahar.